mas habib

  • Home
  • About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Dropdown Menu ▼
    • Submenu 1
    • Submenu 2
    • Submenu 3
  • Useful Link
Home » Tanpa Label » Experimenting with homemade Gesso - a #payitforward post

Experimenting with homemade Gesso - a #payitforward post

Posted by GEDABUZ
» Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Up until about a week ago, I really had no idea what Gesso or Mod Podge was. It was the **[Rorschach Squiggles](http://ift.tt/2jgVtZ5)** post by @reddust that turned me onto gesso and its possibilities. # What is Gesso? Pronounced **"Jeh-sso"**, *(a slight pause between the double S... It's an Italian thing)* it's a primer for canvas (or other surfaces that you are prepping to paint). According to **[Art-is-Fun.com](http://ift.tt/2ih4DpJ)**, it's similar to acrylic paint but thinner. When it's dried, the surface is more stiff and should have texture or teeth so it can accept acrylic paint better. # I'm cheap so I made my own Honestly, I have no idea whether I'm going to love or hate working with acrylic paint. It's been a really long time since I used it. But with cheapy starter art set and a token canvas, I figured it might be time to give it a try! That being said, I did the budget thing - looked on Google for some Gesso recipes and did a little bit of shopping.

![Homemade Gesso by Meredith Loughran, art, recipe, ingredients for gesso, primer](http://ift.tt/2jgVv39)
Ingredients for budget white Gesso
### Recipe: * Sealed jar (preferably water tight) with at least a 20 oz. capacity * 4 oz. Elmer's School Glue * 1 TBSP white acrylic paint * 8 oz. lukewarm water * 3 solid squeezes of the baby powder (I'm going to roughly guess that it was about 1/2 cup of power give or take) Basically, what I did was empty the glue into the jar then use the glue container to get the right portion of water. I added the white acrylic paint for a little pigment/primer, squeezed baby powder in, and shook the dickens out of the jar, adding more powder until it sounded like I was shaking thin pancake batter (or heavy cream).
![](http://ift.tt/2ih5A1j)
# Experiment with paper I bought a grid journal on discount with the idea of prepping a few pages to draw/paint when I was on the road... A keepsake to take with me wherever I go, which is an idea inspired by @opheliafu So I prepped one page with 3 layers in total, allowing each coat of Gesso to dry completely (with the help of a hair dryer).
![](http://ift.tt/2jgU0le)
You can see the grid lines are still visible, which is okay with me because, if you remember, I'm really new at this arting stuff. LOL So I decided to see if the gesso really made a difference. **Please note:** I do not have quality materials or supplies. ### What I noticed: * **Colored Pencils.** Well, my colored pencils suck...but Gesso did not really make an impact on the color or vibrancy. * **Pencils.** Better on non-primed paper. * **Oil pastels.** Gesso kind of made it clumpy but if I tried to rub or blend it, I basically erased it. Conclusion, oil pastels need regular paper. * **Ball point pens.** It's hard to tell. While the color seemed more true there wasn't enough of a difference between regular paper and Gesso prepped to be notable. * **Markers.** ***Definitely a difference*** The color is definitely more vibrant and true. * **Gel Markers.** ***WOW!!!*** The non-primed side basically soaked up the color. The side with Gesso actually stayed true to the marker color - to the point where it actually looked like the color on the marker's cap. *I was impressed.* ###
Mediums I did not yet attempt: watercolors and acrylic paints.
which is silly because I need to experiment with acrylics, right?
# Putting Gesso on everything LOL. Okay, not *everything* but taking another page from @reddust, I had a brown paper bag from Cracker Barrel and wanted to experiment with it. What would white Gesso look like on brown paper?
![](http://ift.tt/2ih7GOF)
One coat of homemade Gesso on brown paper bag
Considering it's the first coat, I think that's pretty good coverage! I'm still letting it dry and cure before I put on the second and third coat but I can already feel the difference in how firm the paper is. # What's your experience? * Have you ever used Gesso? * Have you ever made your own? If so, what were your results? Are you willing to share your Gesso recipe? -----
![](http://ift.tt/2h7OHpc)
[image source](http://ift.tt/2id2dFL)
#
Come frolic with me until Friday!
###
This is a 50/50 post.
All liquid STEEM and SBD from today, Monday, January 9, to Friday, January 13 will be awarded to @awesomenyl to help her raise funds and get supplies for the baby. ###
[Read about the launch of this initiative](http://ift.tt/2icYacr)
**Please note:** I cannot guarantee earnings and my consistency has been a little spotty lately, but your support is greatly appreciated. | ![](http://ift.tt/2igVKwk)
[image source](http://ift.tt/2jgPp2n) |
Another Steemian in need of your help.

@verbal-d


**[Read about his special request](http://ift.tt/2hE8YQp)**
| | ---- | ---- | ----- # Public Service Announcement ### Educate yourself on what Steemit Witnesses do. * Read @pfunk's [User Guide to Steem Witnesses](http://ift.tt/2bucLQC) * Place your educated votes for Witnesses **[HERE](http://ift.tt/2abjwTC)** #
Have a Steemit day!

![](http://ift.tt/2fGZ2Xa)

#payitforward
http://ift.tt/eA8V8J http://ift.tt/2jBzTS8

ADS HERE !!!

Newer Post
Older Post
Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

coinmedia

ads

visitor

Copyright © mas habib. All rights reserved. Designed by CB Blogger & RT Media

↑